The WordNurse Blog... creative copywriter in Chester muses on all things English

Looking for a copywriter in Chester? Want a copywriter in Flintshire? Need a dynamic, professional and highly creative copywriter who works across the UK and Europe...?

Monday 14 June 2010


Joys and jubilations of a freelance world

‘Become a freelance creative copywriter and proofreader’, they said. ‘And why not work all winter, and relax all summer-long in the garden’, they added with great conviction.

Yeah right! The reality of being a freelance creative copywriter and proofreader is somewhat less romantic. And the long, lazy, halcyon days spent idling amongst the flowers and butterflies with a good book… well, unless I unchain my laptop from my wrists… is a pipe dream. But the most important message I want to convey is that it’s absolutely worth the hard work and long hours - both for myself and my clients.

As with any job, there are pros and cons. However, working as a freelancer allows ultimate creativity, and total freedom of ideas and expression. So I never ‘dry up’ as every project, and every client, is completely different. Furthermore, I’m not stifled by a ‘been there, did it 10 years ago, got the t-shirt’ attitude from a stale, permanent job. It’s a two-way, mutually beneficial approach to working successfully and profitably. I’m a huge advocate. And the only ‘con’ I have come across is that I love being around people, and sometimes it can be isolating. But I’m not afraid to turn up on clients’ doorsteps for a coffee and a chat, and I usually walk away having been able to help out with a project, or manage to secure some further work.

What’s in it for employers?

The benefits for employers are endless. Firstly, you don’t need to go through the rigmarole of recruitment agencies: receiving countless ‘phone calls, numerous emails with CVs far removed from your original brief and, if you’re lucky enough to stumble upon a half-decent candidate, said recruitment agency will make sure you pay for the privilege by extracting extortionate sums of money. Furthermore, this inconvenient, protracted, and very expensive process hasn’t even taken into consideration what will happen if your new recruit is a) hopeless, b) a square peg in a round hole, and c) unreliable and leaves after the 3-month refundable period has just expired.

Using a freelancer really will save you money. Admittedly, like all other freelancers my hourly charges are higher than a permanent employee’s; however, you only pay for my time… nothing else. You won’t have to pay for my holiday entitlement, my company car, or my expenses account. And I certainly don’t expect a Christmas bonus. It also saves you the headache of having to sort out P45s, tax, tax problems, national insurance, and so on.

Furthermore, I can NEVER afford to have an ‘off, I can’t be bothered’ day. As a freelance copywriter, I know I’m only ever as good as my last piece of work; and not working to the best of my ability means I’ll probably never hear from my client again. And as a freelance proofreader, a lack of concentration will invariably lead to mistakes, which means a hefty claim on my professional indemnity insurance, or possibly even a trip to court. So no pressure then.

You also have a vibrant pool of creative whizzes at your disposal. And you can pick and choose who you want to commission at a time to suit you. So if you have a short-term project that needs a dedicated skill set… use a freelancer. If you need your website redesigning… use a freelancer. If you want a sharp sales letter bursting with fantastic marketing techniques… use a freelancer. And when the work’s done, well that’s it. You pay for our efforts and keep our ‘phone numbers for a rainy day.

Freelancers have to be outstanding to make a decent living. So you can be safe in the knowledge that you are hiring a consummate professional with the necessary knowledge, skills, and experience. And let’s face it: my reputation depends on every single one of my clients, and whether I successfully meet their brief, and exceed their expectations.

And last, but by no means least, freelancers are usually very easy to find. Networking fairs, such as today’s, are great places to meet freelancers who are serious about their business and genuinely want to help you succeed. There are also many fantastic websites too, which are dedicated to freelancers of all guises. And then, of course, there are the ever-popular social networking sites, such as LinkedIn and Twitter. Proving a massive hit with business professionals of all levels, they allow people to ‘meet’ without ever having to leave the comfort of their office chair, and they’re a professional and effective marketing communication tool too. So it only takes a couple of clicks and a ‘phone call, and you’ve found your perfect person.

For more information on hiring a freelance creative copywriter and proofreader, contact me, Imogen Dennis-Newton, on 07974 003605, email: imogen@thewordnurse.co.uk, or visit www.thewordnurse.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment